I’m sure most everyone has had the following scenario happen once or twice during there lifetime of owning a computer, or an email for that matter…
…you login to your email account to catch up on work, personal emails, etc. The first email you see is from your mom. The subject line is a little weird but you don’t think much of it. You open the email that contains a link, which you click to open without so much as batting an eye, and BAM, just like that your email has been hacked. #epicbummer.
With phishing, Malware, spam, etc. etc., how is one supposed to protect their computer, files, and sensitive information from being stolen? For starters you need good software to protect your computer. Whether you own a Mac or a PC I have researched high and low to bring you the recommendations for the best protection software for your computer. However, before I get into the best software to protect your computer there are a few terms you need to be familiar with.
Firewall:A system designed to prevent unauthorized access to or from a private network.
Parental Control Software:A special browser or filtering program designed to reject Web sites not suited for children.
Web Protection Software:Content-control software.
Phishing:The attempt to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, credit card details, etc by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.
Malware:Software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems.
Spam Filtering:A program used to detect unsolicited and unwanted email and prevent those messages from getting to a user’s Inbox.
- ClamXav: This software gets rave reviews for its excellent Antivirus protection. This software also scores big for being simple to use, free, and offers continuous protection for some versions. The downfall to this software is that there is no firewall offered, parental controls, or web protection.
- Intego Mac Internet Security($39.99): This software offers Antivirus protection, firewall protection, and parental controls for it’s Pro users. This software also scans windows and unix malware. Downside is there is no browser protection.
- Sophos AntiVirus for Mac: Sophos comes complete with Good Antivirus protection and excellent web protection. However, it lacks firewall tools and has zero parental controls.
- McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2015 ($49.99): McAfee is a very common AntiVirus Software. It scores high ratings for its malicious URL blocking. The only complaint with this software is that the firewall seems a bit lax.
- Trend Micro internet Security 2015 ($79.95): This protection software is well worth it’s hefty price tag when you consider that is has excellent reviews in blocking malicious URLs, phishing protection and offers PC health checkups built into the AV scan. This software also check social media privacy settings. One downside is the parental controls are very basic.
- Trend Micro Antivirus 2015 ($39.95): Supberb in blocking malware, malicious URL, phishing protection, and spam filtering. This software also offers a firewall booster and URL rating system.
- ContentWatch Net Nanny 7($39.99): This software is aimed towards protecting your family. Supports Windows, Mac, and Android. Very Powerful filtering system that offers the option of having email notifications sent to the user. This software offers internet filtering, blocks pornography, time management, social media monitoring, child protection software, profanity masking, alerts and reporting, and the ability for remote management.
FREE PC Software
- Panda Free Antivirus 2015: This software is easy and quick to install. It offers excellent malicious URL blocking and malware blocking.
- Malwarebytest AntiMalware 2.0: This software can be installed and will scan while in Safe Mode. This software has chameleon technology that resists malware attacks. An excellent malware remover.
With so many high quality protection software options available for your computer terms like malware, phishing, and spam wont keep you up at night. Choose the software that bests fits your needs and install it today! Don’t wait until your email has been hacked or your personal information has been compromised.